EDQU

UX and redesign for a learning platform

Client: EdQu
Role: UX/UI Designer
Team: 3 people, Full time
Span: 5 weeks

 

Brief/Project description:

As a company, EdQu wants to help education systems worldwide perform better and succeed in

helping their students to learn more. In this spirit, we set out to create the world’s best tool for

knowledge assessment in schools.

 

Our user interface currently has a very “standard” and “engineer” feel (probably because it’s been designed by engineers). EdQu are looking to change it to make it more intuitive and easy to relate to for our users. It would also help if we could find a way to make it more visually appealing.

 

Success for EdQu would be a user interface helps us increase the share of registered users that convert to using the product regularly. While this isn’t solely based on the UI, it plays an important role in user conversion.

 

Process:

In a team of 3 we used a human-centered design approach on the brief and created a manual for EdQu to implement a better user experience and user interface on their platform, going through hierarchy, font, color-settings, copywriting, measuring/testing tools.

 

Step 1. Research:

User-journey, user-interviews, external and internal consistency check of the platform and color mapping.

Mapping out the user-journey.

Main insights:

One of the main sites in the platform was never a part of the user’s journey because they could not understand the function of it.

The buttons in the platform lacked of consistency when it came to functions and which colour each function had. This caused a lot of confusion for the user.

 

Step 2. Analysing insights to find the perfect solution

After doing the research and mapping out the user journey, we realized that the platformed needed an upgrade in the fields of user experience design as well as in the interface design.

 

We moved the navigation menu from left to the top of the site, the new content design is build up as modular design to make it more consistent and responsive for mobile devices and this would also make it easier for the programmer when it would need to be changed contextually.

 

We assigned a new font that is easier to read for dyslectics. The typeface consist of a wider range of typefaces from very professional to more playfulness.

 

By mapping out colour and function for buttons within the platform, we were able to create a guide manual on how to apply each colour to a different function. To see the full design manual, please click here.

Mockups for delivery to show the client how the guideline for the redesign would work in reality and to give them a template to work after when programming the changes and implementations to the platform.